Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Rumbly in my Tummy

Last night, I carefully prepared my lunch for the day. I made a ham and gouda sandwich on buttermilk bread with just a touch of mustard to add moisture, but not enough to overpower the taste of the surprisingly good gouda. Then I prepared a salad of field greens and feta cheese. The balsamic vinaigrette went into a separate container to keep the greens crisp. Then I added a carton of oh-so-delicious, good for your bones Brown Cow yoghurt. Perfect light lunch, healthy but substantial. It went into the refrigerator, to await a hurried departure in the morning.

Noontime rolled around and I unpacked my sandwich. It was very good, though just slightly soggy. I should have held off on the mustard until the last second. Following that, I took the lid off the salad... and discovered that it had turned to a mushy, strange smelling mess. I don’t understand what happened. I’ve packed salads on numerous occasions, but I’ve never had one turn so gross so fast. Sigh. But at least I have my yummy yoghurt. I popped the lid and stirred it all up, then took a big bite... and gagged on the unmistakable taste of a slightly spoiled dairy product.

Let’s review:

Sandwich: good, but soggy
Salad: Wilted and nasty
Yoghurt: Spoiled

Overall lunch score: 3 out of 10 (the gouda is really good!)

3 Comments:

At 4:32 PM , Blogger Luneray said...

Spread the mustard between the meat and cheese (or on the lettuce, if you use it), and not on the bread. That way you get all that mustardy goodness without sogginess.

The Gouda usually available in the US is as similar to Dutch gouda as American cheese is to cheddar.

While living in NL, I got used to eating cheese sandwiches made with butter instead of the US style mayo/mustard/ketchup. At first I thought the idea was strange, but quickly realized that gouda tastes really good with butter. Of course, the average Dutch butter is better than most of the crap that USians insist on putting on their bread.

I went to the "Butter" section of the local Krogers to get butter (natch) and 90% of the products in that section were margarines or "spreads". Only one brand of butter. Why call it the "Butter" section when there's hardly any butter offered? /rant

Damn, I miss ham and cheese sandwiches. Those were my favorite. *sigh*

 
At 8:15 PM , Blogger katze said...

Oh, I know. that's why I usually don't get gouda in the US. This, however, was on sale and I figured, eh... how bad could it be? It turned out to be very, very close to the dutch gouda I put on my Pausebrot.

And then I laughed about the butter thing because I have four kinds of "butter" in the fridge right now. 1)Pumpkin margarine, 2) regular margarine (for use in cooking things like mac and cheese), 3)Land O Lakes unsalted butter (for toast and pancakes) and 4)Icelandic butter (called, I kid you not, "Smor"-- picture an umlaut over the O because I can't find the Num Lock on Dave's keyboard) for everything else... including the gouda sandwich I ate for dinner Sunday after I got back from the grocery. It was YUMMY.

 
At 10:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a bad fridge there toots.

-Lester

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home