Monday, February 07, 2005

I Need a Break From My Weekend

The theme for this weekend was “Are you retarded or just inconsiderate?”

Finbar was here, which was nice. But with auction preparation in full swing, it was also stressful. We ran errands most of the day Saturday, including trips to the local open air market and the Horribly Overpriced Chain Store, locations that I normally avoid like the plague on weekends. Highlights of the day include the 30 minute search for a parking space ANYWHERE in the general vicinity of the open air market, the woman who clipped me with her cart so that she could cut in front of me at the check out at Marshall’s (made all the sweeter by the fact that I had one item and she had a car completely filled to overflowing with clothing), the woman in front of us in the 8 items or less express line who had a full cart and then challenged half of the prices and got upset because some of our items were less than three feet away from her items (because apparently the little plastic dividing bar wouldn’t be enough to alert the cashier), and the woman who blocked the entire walkway with her SUV stroller and refused to move so that we could get by.

Finbar purchased the remaining Lemony Snicket books and left them here with me, so the day wasn’t a total loss.

We met with Death for coffee Saturday night, which was lots of fun. She’s a funny girl and so deliciously evil. She and Finbar tend to get going on a riff and I can just sit back and be entertained by the two of them. We cackled inordinately evilly at the rumors of Big Local Law Firm’s imminent bankruptcy which would result in one of the top students in our class (a disgusting excuse for a human being who fulfills every stereotype of the weasel lawyer already) losing her much-bragged about summer associate’s position. Not that we wish the other attorneys at Big Local Law Firm any ill, but damn, it would be good to see Anna get screwed.

It’s funny how law school tends to change you. I feel like my edges have gotten so much sharper, but that I’ve gotten intellectually stupider. I’m learning to work without reward, which is good in theory, but I fear the backlash in my personal life. And I think that I’m paradoxically more generous and much nastier than I was before law school. There are people here that I would walk across hot coals for, and there are people who I seriously wish would just disappear from the face of the earth—which is not normal, people!

An otherwise horrible and banal 1L blog I ran across describes the author’s fantasy of seeing his classmates dropped into a tank of sharks with laser beams mounted on their heads. I laughed at the image... and then I thought “Hmmmm... sharks with laser beams...” There are a lot of people here that I would drop in that tank.

Sunday morning, I woke up and last week’s cold was back for an encore. After spending Sunday afternoon and early evening working on various auction junk with LaPresidente and Martin, I planned to go to Dami’s Super Bowl party. I even drove part of the way there, but then I realized that I was just too tired. So I went home and laid on my couch with a cup of hot tea. I tried to watch the Super Bowl—mostly for the commercials, of course—but I kept dozing off. I eventually got up and went to bed, where I laid and stared at the ceiling, unable to fall asleep.

And that one statement pretty much sums up my weekend. It’s pretty sad when going back to school looks better than the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home