Monday, January 31, 2005

Knit One, Purl Two

Loud protestations to the contrary, I think I’m going to start a new Harry Potter scarf. This one is going to be for me, and I’m rationalizing it by pointing up the fact that it will be in Ravenclaw colors, not Gryffindor. I figure if I start it now, I can pace it in between working on my “real” projects (Julio’s Snoopy scarf and sweater and fixing my Sweden sweater) and finish it just in time for the release of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. My big decision here is whether to use acrylic (as I used for the Gryffindor scarves) or wool. I’m leaning toward acrylic because it’s more washable and I have a bad habit of getting lipstick on my scarves. But then, a nice wool would be so warm and fluffy. Plus I’m doing a lot of work in acrylic right now and it’s getting boring.

I’m considering scrapping the Sweden sweater altogether. I just don’t like the way the yarn is working up with the sweater pattern. Plus I’m using a yarn that I bought on the clearance shelf and apparently there isn’t enough of it, which is strange because it’s actually far more than the pattern instructions call for. I’m planning to “fix” the problem by adding some color blocks in, but now I’m wondering if I shouldn’t just rip the whole thing apart and try a different project. However, I have some hesitation because the silly sentimental side of me likes the idea of being able to wear a sweater that I (mostly) knitted during my epic Nordic Trek (plus Estonia and Germany). It’s like every time I see the sweater, it would trigger the memory of sitting in those low slung chairs, smelling the reindeer pelt on the floor and chatting with Luneray. But then, unfinished sleeves aside, the sweater is turning out so ugly that I can’t see myself actually wearing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home