Friday, December 05, 2008

Too Tired to Think of a Title

I stole this from Luneray, because it sparked my interest and was kind of fun to answer. If you like it, take it. Have you noticed that no one tags anyone for memes anymore? Tagging is so 2004.

. Magazines Subscribed To
: Real Simple and Self. I used to subscribe to Time and Newsweek, but they have gotten so utterly insubstantial that I can read them cover to cover in 45 minutes. I want a little more for my money, you know? I really miss the big, hefty news magazines in Germany, so I looked into getting a subscription to Der Spiegel, or even Focus. Dear God, that's expensive! I guess I'll stick to reading the news online.

2. Aside from knitting, my favorite pastimes are: reading, writing, and well, I'm out of free time now. I'd also like to get back into some sort of lessons. Ash and I have been talking about taking dancing lessons together, and I've really got to start practicing my Swedish again before I lose it.

3. If I were not a _____________(insert your own profession here), I'd be: OK, is this like a , not-qualified-in-real-life-but-I-think-it-sounds-fascinating kind of thing? Because I think it would be really interesting to be one of the people who works in the "back rooms" of a museum, learning about and caring for the objects in the collection. Or else a person who restores very old or damaged objects/ artwork.

If it has to be a potentially realistic profession, I have often considered going back to get a degree in library science so that I can be a librarian. I think it is unrealistic to consider taking on any more student loans, so that's probably not much more realistic than the museum thing.

4. I am irrationally worried about: Nothing, really. I am worried about several things that are very rational to be worried about: our finances, whether I'll be able to have a baby, my parents ability to retire, my own ability to retire, the state of the economy...

5. If I were the opposite sex: I would be thrilled to be free of the horrible mood swings that I can't seem to control and I would enjoy the sensation of being able to walk around at night with out fear. I would miss being allowed to show vulnerability in public.

6. The thing I miss most about childhood is: the fact that I didn't believe that there were any limitations to what I could achieve, or do, or experience. But to be honest, I don't really miss childhood, and I certainly don't miss high school. Life gets better all the time, even though I also have to admit that things aren't always easy.

7. I like to collect: books. I hate to get rid of them and love being able to walk over to my shelf and pull a comfortable old friend down any time I want to. Ash and I have sold well over a hundred books to Half Price Books since moving in together, and yet we still have four bookcases stuffed to overflowing and could probably really use a fifth.

8. Though I've never been there, I feel inexplicably homesick for: South Korea, because that's where my lovely Dami is.

9. I've never really liked to eat: Beans. I want to like them because they are nutritious and cheap. I keep trying to like them, but at least 90% of the time I just can't stand them. There's just something about the mouth feel that grosses me out. At the place I waitressed at right after law school, they served foole m'damas, and the look and smell of it was enough to make me feel ill.

10. When I have nightmares, they are usually about: When I was in law school, I had a recurring nightmare that my teeth were crumbling and falling out of my head. I had this dream several times a week through all three years and right up until I passed the bar exam. I haven't had the dream even once since then. In college, my recurring nightmare was that I was being chased and couldn't run away. (Eventually, I developed this thing where I would say to myself in my dream "Hey, this must be a dream. And since it's a dream, you can fly away." Then my dream self would push off from the ground and fly like I was swimming though the air until I woke up.) Now, my recurring nightmare is that I'm being chased, but instead of being stuck in place, I am running away and managing to stay one step ahead of the people that are trying to get to me. It doesn't really take an expert on dream analysis to see the meaning in how those dreams have changed over the years. Another big difference is that I used to have extremely frightening nightmares that were unbelievably vivid. I would wake up and be terrified to fall back asleep, lest the dream start back up again. Today, when I have nightmares, they are usually filled with a vague feeling of dread or worry, but they are very seldom as vivid or as frightening. They are also much more... crazy. For example, I recently dreamed that Molly Ringwald was trying to catch me so that she could kill me. Why, why, why would I dream about Molly Ringwald to begin with, and why would she be trying to kill me?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home