Tuesday, May 03, 2005

I Changed My Mind About Bill Bryson-- Now With Exact Quote!

So, I'm in the home stretch of "Neither Here Nor There" and I came across this little gem of "wisdom" from Mr. Bryson (and I use the term "Mr." loosely here).

Speaking of his waiter: "Well, if you're so hot, how come I'm sitting down and you're not? Let's be honest, if you career consists of nothing more demanding than conveying trays of food back and forth between a kitchen and dining room all day, there's not really much of anyone you are superior to, is there, except perhaps disk jockeys and lawyers." This from a man who just ordered in English from a waiter working in a German-speaking country and (I presume) whose native language is German.


Bryson is officially on the "Hate" list. And I'm selling his books.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home