Monday, December 06, 2004

Robbing the Cradle

Waaaaay back when I first started this blogging stuff, I mentioned in passing the fact that the professor’s offices ring the library and that some of them are really, really loud.

Today, I was sitting at a table on the 5th floor, back in one of the corners. I needed the outlet to plug in my laptop to recharge the battery while I searched online for cheap texts for Spring Semester. One professor held a long and very, very loud conference with a confused 1L explaining the concept of detrimental reliance. Irritating for so very many reasons, including the inability to concentrate on your own work due to the noise, the rudeness of the fact that he was doing this with his door wide open instead of shutting it like a normal person, and the fact that it made me remember last year’s exams, when I was able to actually prepare and study material for the exams instead of quietly panicking over the lack of material that seems like it could appear on the exam.

But then, another professor took a phone call, also with his door open. I wasn’t’ really paying attention at first, except to look over at Death and roll my eyes at the noise. But then I heard the phrase “I got married on Saturday” come out of his mouth. This professor is middle-aged... very middle-aged. So this naturally caught my interest. “Yeah, we’ve been together eight years... thanks, thanks... she’s 13 years younger than I am and (something about his daughter that got lost in mine and Death’s laughter)... “

Seriously! If I were dating someone thirteen years younger than I, he wouldn’t even be able to drive yet! And if I were going to announce this in a phone call that would very definitely be overheard by students that I very possibly might have in class, I WOULD SHUT MY DOOR to cut down on the eavesdropping factor!!

But then, I’m not a law professor.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home