Monday, December 13, 2004

Misplaced Priorities

I'm sure I'll take some flames for this, but this has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Don't get me wrong: I understand that a wedding ring is more than just a ring, it's a symbol, etc, etc. I get it, really I do. I can totally understand the emotional attachment to the ring, not taking the ring off ever, and so on.

But in the end, it's still an object, which can be replaced. Your finger, on the other hand, won't grow back. If my (hypothetical) husband chose to cut off his finger instead of his wedding ring, I wouldn't be "honored", I would be horrified that he would place so much value on an object. Take the pieces of the ring and bring them home! They can be remelted and formed, they could be turned into another piece of jewelry, you can keep them in a box as a memento or an heirloom. There are so very many other options.

And when it comes down to it, the destruction of the symbol does not equal the destruction of the thing. How many people in any given year drop their ring down a drain and cannot retreive it? I'm pretty certain that they don't have a higher rate of divorce than those who never lose their wedding rings.

And the really nasty part of me takes mental note of the high rate of divorce among those who marry young and among military families and thinks "How much is he going to regret this when they get divorced in a few years?"

1 Comments:

At 11:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

To make matters worse, they actually ended up losing the ring due to the chaotic situation in the operating room. So no finger AND no ring. That just...REALLY sucks...

~ Pei

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home