Monday, December 10, 2007

Playing My Part

*Blows dust off blog*

So anyway, living up to the stereotype of the married woman, since getting married, I have gained weight and cut my hair from pretty long to pretty short.

In fairness* to me, my hair has mostly been short-ish as an adult. It was down to the bottom of my ribcage as a college freshman and I cut it progressively shorter over the years, occasionally growing it out a few inches, then cutting it again. It was really only once I got ready to start law school that I started really growing it out. I had as a goal the ability to be able to pull my hair into a ponytail and leave for class with no further ado**. Then, when I got engaged to Ash, I started to seriously work at growing it long so that I would have as many options as possible for an updo on my wedding day.

I was good and sick of the long hair by July. In fact, there were many days when I was certain that I would not make it another week without begging my hair guy for an emergency hairectomy. I played with braids and twists, but the thing is, my hair is extremely thick. And as soon as it gets long enough to do something with it, it also gets too heavy to really do anything with it. A true coiffure conundrum. Anyway, I realized shortly before the wedding that I probably had nearly enough length to donate my hair to Locks of Love or some similar charity.

I know, I know: lots of people think that Locks of Love is a scam. I think that's not the case. They are really quite open about what they really do with the donations they receive and the very restrictive guidelines they have for who can get a wig. Now, it's not that I think that kids with Alopecia don't deserve a wig. But there was something about the restrictions that sort of rubbed me the wrong way. Certainly, Locks of Love may set any rules and restrictions it wishes on who may be the beneficiary of their largesse. Still, I wanted something a little more... flexible.

On this past Saturday, I sat in the chair and announced to my hair guy, "I want my short hair back." We looked at some pictures and then he brought out a ruler and a ponytail holder. From the base of the ponytail it measured 9"-- more than enough for Pantene Beautiful Lengths, which I found by a google search for "donate hair not to locks of love". Out came the scissors and several minutes later, off came my ponytail. Honestly, I wanted to run laps around the salon yelling "FREEDOM! FREEDOM!!"

I really thought that it would feel like a big change, but instead it sort of felt like coming home or returning to my natural state. I especially love the fact that from the moment I step out of the shower to the moment of being fully ready to go-- at least as far as the hair goes-- only takes maybe 5 minutes or so, and it looks so much more polished than the long hair did even after a long session with a hair dryer and a round brush (and frankly, that's pretty much always way more effort than I'm willing to put into my hair).

It also made me feel much younger, and perhaps this is a purely psychological phenomenon. After all, I was much younger the last time I had hair like this, so I suppose it's only natural to catch a glimpse of myself in a window or some other reflective surface and think to myself "Hey! Who's that cute little 23 year old?"*** At any rate, it apparently isn't an objective assessment of the effects of my new do, because when I mentioned to Ash that I thought the hair made me look much younger, he replied "I think you look like a mom."****

So yeah. I'm back. 10 pounds heavier and 9" inches of hair lighter. What've you guys been up to while I was busy working, writing thank you notes (if you haven't gotten one for your wedding present yet, I swear they're coming), and playing Katamari Damacy (More on that later, I assure you)?


* The first time I typed this, I wrote "hairness".
** Semi-pun totally intended.
***Which, holy crow, was almost a decade ago. Eek.
**** No, I'm not pregnant.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:06 AM , Blogger Luneray said...

I told you that you would like that game. c'mon now, are you humming the songs yet?

 
At 3:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got married? Have I been away that long? Wow. In any case: congratulations! I wish you two all the best.

To answer your q however: I quit my job and now run my family's company instead. And I'm freezing my ass off in lovely old Belgium.

 
At 10:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like having hair change so I can remember stages of my life. I've gone from boycut to down to my ass and every color there is (in nature, anyway). Picture? I'm sure you're beautiful as always.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home