Tuesday, September 26, 2006

And Now The Big Test

We're leaving for Michigan in the morning, where I will be meeting Ash's family. Lots of Ash's family. It seems like every time I turn around, Ash is on the phone with someone new, making plans to meet for lunch/dinner/beers and insisting "I really want you to meet Katze". It's entirely possible that I am going to meet the entire population of the lower peninsula.

I am really quite freaked out. Meeting new people makes me anxious to begin with, and the stakes for this meeting seem... a little bit higher than the average first encounter. What if they don't like me? What if they really don't like me? But I'm also really excited. I can't wait to see where Ash grew up and make some mental pictures to go along with the stories that Ash tells me. I'm looking forward to meeting so many of the people that are important to him.

I am also really looking forward to five days off work. In eight days, I've worked just under 90 hours. And after today's shifts, I'm at the breaking point with the restaurant. After yet another long, crappy day with one cheapskate tipper after another, I asked the closing manager to put in my food order: a lamb roll. It's nowhere near the most expensive item on the menu, and I've ordered it before, so I was shocked when she informed me that I couldn't get it as my meal. I threw a minor fit, and she finally deigned (with enormous ill grace) to order it. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, if you are going to ask someone to work as many hours as I'm working for as little money as I'm making, then you shouldn't fuss about something as small as an employee meal. And they wonder why their turnover has been so high. Oh, and I still haven't received a single paycheck from them.

I'm planning to quit after I return from Michigan. I'll give notice, and hopefully I'll be able to start somewhere else quickly, since I can't really afford not to be working. Two of my tutoring students are taking the LSAT on Saturday, so I'll have slightly fewer tutoring hours, too. But that should give me a little time to actually job hunt. And maybe write!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home