Thursday, November 17, 2005

It's Really November Now

I could smell it in the air as I walked to my car last night around 7:30, that unmistakably crisp edge that you can almost taste. Then, I got up in the night last night to go to the bathroom and the wind was howling in a distinctly snowy kind of way. The first snowflakes of the season started falling as I was on my way to school this morning. They're still coming down at a decent pace, but nothing is accumulating just yet. It looks very pretty and feels very Thanksgiving-y, with all the piles of leaves along the side of the road and the occasional bright patch of leaves still clinging to the branches of the trees.

This is one of the few snowfalls I truly enjoy. As a rule, I think snow should be illegal. I hate winter. Hate. It. But the first snowfall of the year always feels... festive, I guess. I don't know why that's the word that came to mind, but it is. I am also in favor of snow during the week before and after Christmas. Other than that, forget it. It would be nice if snow in real life had more in common with the snow in a snowglobe: always white and fluffy, not slippery, never causes people to drive like drunken baboons.

Still, the snow is just in time to set the mood for Fakesgiving this weekend. I'm going to try my hand at making cranberry sauce from scratch and maybe whipped butternut squash. I want to make something yummy, but traditional. Stuffing and mashed potatoes are already being taken care of by someone else. There is always the allergy issue to think about, especially since I'm always afraid that people will think I'm attention seeking or something. I hate having to ask to read bread wrappers and cracker boxes and "Are there any nuts in the cake?". Hate. It. If I could have one wish, it would be to get rid of my food allergies. Well, actually it would be for a billion dollars, but if I can't have the moolah, I'd want to be able to eat rice and nuts again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home