Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Oh, And A Copy of "The Rules"

This article popped up on MSN today and I was bored at work, waiting on hold for Immigration, so I read it (even though I normally avoid articles like this like the plague). I was disgusted. Buy CDs you don't listen to so that he'll think you're cool! And make sure you don't listen to too much of that Lillith Fair crap or he'll think you're a lesbo. Don't wear comfortable shoes, make sure you're wearing heels-- you may get hammertoes, but at least you'll look sexy! Buy magazines you don't like and don't read and keep them in your bathroom so he'll be happy when he's launching the Spanish Armada in your bathroom! Keep fancy microbrews in your fridge, even if you prefer wine or don't drink at all! You're not a real woman if you don't do these things and you will DIE ALONE IN A HOUSE FULL OF CATS!

Look, if you would do these things anyway, then fine, whatever, if it makes you happy. But I fail to see how pretending to be something that you aren't is a good dating strategy. Sure, I wouldn't fart on a first date, but neither am I going to put on a personality that isn't mine. You can't keep that kind of charade up for long after all. It seems to me that the point of dating is to meet people and try them on, so to speak, for compatibility. Hopefully you have a lot of fun along the way... and I don't know how you can have fun when you're pretending to be something you aren't.

But then, I guess I never was a Cosmo Girl.

1 Comments:

At 1:43 AM , Blogger pacatrue said...

The only thing that makes sense in your whole quoted list is the microbrews. I just mean that if you are having someone over that you want to have a good time, then it is nice to have something they like in the fridge. I don't drink coffee, but when I am thinking I go out and get some before people come visit. The rest of it is pretty much absurd.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home