Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Have You Ever...

(OK, so I'm editing this because my introductory and explanatory paragraph disappeared. Here's what it said:)

This is a list of 200 questions that are making the blog rounds. Usually when I see stuff like this, I file in the the same category as those silly "What Obscure 1980 John Hughes Movie Character Are You?" quizzes. But the more I read, the more fun that this one is. Here's the key:
- Anything that's in bold is something that I have done
- Anything that has a * after is something that I will never do
- Anything that has a + is something that I hope I will be able to do one day
- Blue italicized stuff is my personal commentary (you probably figured that one out on your own)

***************
Bought everyone in the pub a drink
Swam with wild dolphins [the idea of this kind of creeps me out. Who knows what other, less friendly, animals would be swimming near you at the same time? And besides that, I can't really swim]
Climbed a mountain [
I hope that one day I will be in the physical condition necessary for something like this]
Taken a Ferrari for a test drive +
Been inside the Great Pyramid +
Held a tarantula *********
Taken a candlelit bath with someone
Said ‘I love you’ and meant it
[Pretty much every day]
Hugged a tree
Done a striptease
Bungee jumped ***
Visited Paris +
Watched a lightning storm at sea
Stayed up all night long, and watch the sun rise
Seen the Northern Lights +

Gone to a huge sports game
Walked the stairs to the top of the leaning Tower of Pisa +
Grown and eaten your own vegetables [When I was a kid, we had a small garden with stuff in it like tomatoes and green peppers. I haven't lived anywhere as an adult where that was possible--yet.]
Touched an iceberg +
Slept under the stars
Changed a baby’s diaper
Taken a trip in a hot air balloon [I'm not sure that I would want to do this, really, but at the same time it just sounds so cool to be like, yeah, I went up in a hot air balloon...]
Watched a meteor shower
Gotten drunk on champagne
Given more than you can afford to charity
Looked up at the night sky through a telescope

Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment [And was sent to the principal's office for it more than once]
Had a food fight
Bet on a winning horse [Not at a track, though. It was in the Kentucky Derby pool at work once. I picked a name at random and it was the horse that won that year!]
Taken a sick day when you’re not ill
Asked out a stranger
Had a snowball fight
Photocopied your bottom on the office photocopier * [That's just gross. Do you know how many people have to touch that copier in the course of a day??]
Screamed as loudly as you possibly can
Held a lamb
Enacted a favourite fantasy
Taken a midnight skinny dip +
Taken an ice cold bath
Had a meaningful conversation with a beggar
Seen a total eclipse
Ridden a roller coaster
Hit a home run
Fit three weeks miraculously into three days
Danced like a fool and not cared who was looking
Adopted an accent for an entire day
[My esteemed high school classmates already thought I was from Swaziland (a small, landlocked country between Japan and Hawaii, whose national bird is the penguin and whose population gathers to watch the Northern Lights in July), so one day when we had a sub, I obliged them... poor sub. He never did figure out that my name wasn't really Oksana.]
Visited the birthplace of your ancestors [Difficult to do when you can't specify what that country might *be*.]
Actually felt happy about your life, even for just a moment
Had two hard drives for your computer
Visited all 50 states +
Loved your job for all accounts + [The fact that the answer to this is "no" is one of the most depressing things about my life]
Taken care of someone who was shit faced
Had enough money to be truly satisfied +
Had amazing friends {If I could make this super, duper bold, I would. Amazing doesn't even come close to describing them.]
Danced with a stranger in a foreign country
Watched wild whales
Stolen a sign
Backpacked in Europe [Well.... I had a backpack. I was in Europe. I rode the trains around to different places. Just because I stayed in people's homes and bathed on a regular basis doesn't mean it doesn't count!]

Taken a road-trip...for six days -
lived in the car... [Yes to the first two... and frankly, the car would have been preferable to the Days Inn on Orange Blossom Drive in Orlando]
Rock climbing [Again, just plain too weak for this. Maybe one day.]
Lied to foreign government’s official in that country to avoid notice [I was going to answer "no", but then I remembered pretending not to speak German to avoid getting a ticket for not buying a fare for the Berlin subway. Does that count?]
Sky diving****
Visited Ireland +
Been heartbroken longer then you were actually in love
In a restaurant, sat at a stranger’s table and had a meal with them [Yes, if by "restaurant" you mean one of the large Bierzelte at Oktoberfest in Munich. Those guys from England were so stoked to discover young cuties that spoke English! Who needs a reservation??]
Visited Japan +
Benchpressed your own weight +
Milked a cow
Alphabetised your records [Well, CDs. And you can see the results on my shelves right now.]
Pretended to be a superhero
Sung karaoke +
Lounged around in bed all day
Posed nude in front of strangers
Scuba diving
Got it on to “Let’s Get It On” by Marvin Gaye [I'm really more of a Chet Baker kind of gal, myself]
Kissed in the rain
Played in the mud
Played in the rain
Gone to a drive-in theater
Visited the Great Wall of China + [Pei? When are we going?]
Discovered that someone who’s not supposed to have known about your blog has discovered your blog [Woo hoo!]
Dropped Windows in favor of something better
Started a business +
Fallen in love and not had your heart broken [I don't belive that this is even possible. The best and most loving relationships have their down points and we all have our moments when we unintentionally hurt the ones we love. The question is, what do you do after the heartbreak happens?]
Toured ancient sites [Well, define the term "ancient", please. Then I'll tell you what my answer is.]
Taken a martial arts class +
Swordfought for the honor of a woman [Spare me.]
Played D&D for more than 6 hours straight *
Gotten married +
Been in a movie [Although I AM only three degrees from Kevin Bacon. Or is it two?]
Crashed a party
Loved someone you shouldn’t have
Kissed someone so passionately it made them dizzy
Gotten divorced *****
Had sex at the office [Um, ew? Seriously, I don't want to think about the surface contamination and grodiness of this idea. Unless you work at home, in which case, go for it.]
Gone without food for 5 days
Made cookies from scratch

Won first prize in a costume contest
Ridden a gondola in Venice +
Gotten a tattoo *
Found that the texture of some materials can turn you on
Rafted the Snake River
Been on television news programs as an “expert"
Got flowers for no reason [Nearly every day when I lived in Munich]
Gotten hot and steamy in a public place [Well, SEMI-public-- in the front seat of a car]
Got so drunk you don’t remember anything *
Been addicted to some form of illegal drug *

Performed on stage
Been to Las Vegas [You know, it's funny. If I had the chance to go to Vegas, I would, but if I never made it there, I could be just as happy]

Recorded music
Eaten shark
Seen Siouxsie and the Banshees live
Bought a house +
Been in a combat zone *
Buried one/both of your parents
Shaved or waxed your pubic hair off [Oh, God, what a mistake. Never, ever, ever again.]
Been on a cruise ship [Lee, what do you think? Does the Viking Line count?]
Spoken more than one language fluently
Gotten into a fight while attempting to defend someone
Bounced a cheque
[Once, just a few months after I opened my first account. I felt like a total idiot.]
Performed in Rocky Horror *
Read - and understood - your credit report
Raised children *
Recently bought and played with a favourite childhood toy
Followed your favorite band/singer on tour [Well, I've seen Patty Griffen 11 times in three different cities (four if you count Cincinnati and Newport as different cities). Does that count?]
Created and named your own constellation of stars

Taken an exotic bicycle tour in a foreign country +
Found out something significant that your ancestors did [Again, difficult to do when you don't know who they are.]
Called or written your Congress person Member of Parliament
Picked up and moved to another city to just start over to be with the one you love
...more than once? - More than thrice? [But I would, if I had to.]
Walked the Golden Gate Bridge
Sang loudly in the car, and didn’t stop when you knew someone was looking [All the time, my friend. All the time.]
Had an abortion or your female partner did
Had plastic surgery
Survived an accident that you shouldn’t have survived
Wrote articles for a large publication +
Lost over 100 pounds
Held someone while they were having a flashback
Piloted an airplane
Petted a stingray
Broken someone’s heart
Helped an animal give birth
Been fired or laid off from a job [Twice from the same job. Once for taking a previously scheduled and approved vacation when the supervisor decided less than a week before that I wasn't "allowed" to go. And then again when I failed to show up for work after I was terminated. That was from Avon Products, Inc, ladies and gentlemen. Let's give Avon a big round of applause!]
Won money on a T.V. game show +
Broken a bone
Killed a human being *
Gone on an African photo safari +
Ridden a motorcycle
Driven any land vehicle at a speed of greater than 100mph *
Had a body part of yours below the neck pierced *
Fired a rifle, shotgun, or pistol
Eaten mushrooms that were gathered in the wild +
Ridden a horse
Had major surgery
Had sex on a moving train
Had a snake as a pet
Hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon +
Slept through an entire flight: takeoff, flight, and landing
Slept for more than 30 hours over the course of 48 hours
Visited more foreign countries than U.S. states
Visited all 7 continents +

Taken a canoe trip that lasted more than 2 days +
Eaten kangaroo meat + [But I have eaten reindeer. Mmmmmmm...]
Fallen in love at an ancient Mayan burial ground
Been a sperm or egg donor
Eaten sushi [That was in my pre-rice allergy days. I miss rice.]
Had your picture in the newspaper [More times than you can shake a stick at, mostly in Germany. Once I was even on the front page-- that was in a very small town. And once I was on page 2 of the Hamburger Abendblatt. I actually had someone recognize me on the bus after that.]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home