Friday, September 17, 2004

Gubbe Noak

I'm pretty sure that I will start to see animals going down the street two by two any minute now. Hurricane Ivan-- well, what's left of it anyway-- is moving through. We weren't exactly in a drought to begin with and the remnants of Frances saturated the ground pretty well, so the new rainfall wasn't exactly welcome to begin with. It started sometime overnight and the driving rain hasn't let up for even a minute since then.

This lead to a rather unfortunate discovery: there's a crack in the foundation of the house. And the storm drain is clogged. I've managed to prop the cover on the drain open enough that the water can go down that way, but there's nothing to be done about the water squirting in (and it's not dripping or oozing, it's actually got some force behind it) except wait for the rain to stop. And keep the cats out of it. *That's* easier said than done. Mau isn't a problem, since a) she doesn't like the basement and b) she HATES water. But Pink Nose is fascinated by the rush of water and has been sitting beside the storm drain for hours. That's fine, but I think we all know that sooner or later it's going to lead to a little sip from the river (I mean, he's a cat. He'll get curious about it eventually) and next thing you know, we've got kitty cholera on our hands.

The other unfortunate thing is that many of the roads are closed due to standing water and that means I'm stuck here for the evening. I was really looking forward to the lamb koftas Finbar and I planned for our Friday night. Instead, I guess I'll warm up some egg rolls or something from my own freezer. And sit at home with the cats. I feel like the scary lady that the kids all dare each other to talk to.