Wednesday, September 14, 2005

How Far I've Come

In today's Commercial Transactions class, I got called on for material that I had read-- twice so far!-- and did not understand. When I say "I got called on", you understand I mean multiple times over the course of the hour for various points of the lecture.

As a 1L, this situation would have resulted in utter panic, possibly even a heart attack or spontaneous combustion. As a 3L, I felt only vaguely annoyed that she wouldn't leave me alone already.

At one point, she asked whether provision X made sense. My answer was, "No, but frankly, none of this makes any sense to me." In saying so, I was likely speaking for at least 70% of the class, but for whatever reason, people are too afraid to say so. This has always seemed stupid to me. How are you going to learn and how will the professor know where more attention is needed if no one speaks up? But, again, as a 1L, I would never have had the guts to actually say that out loud in class.

3 Comments:

At 12:36 PM , Blogger J said...

Yea! Applause, Applause! Jeeze, I wish more people like you were in classes with me.

 
At 4:22 AM , Blogger pacatrue said...

Yeah, this is one difference I have noticed between people who go back to school after a few years and those who are young and going straight through. I used to be utterly silent in class as a kid. Now, I just say whatever I think, even if it's "it all just came across to me as a big list with no connection to anything."

 
At 9:23 AM , Blogger katze said...

And see, I'd rather be in classes with people like you two. Why do people feel like they have to act like they know everything already? We're in school for a reason... to learn things we didn't know before.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home