Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I May Be Insane By This Time Tomorrow

The cat does not travel well.

She never has. In fact, she doesn't much care for outdoors, period. I could leave my front door wide open and never worry about losing the cat because she won't go outside-- the very definition of "fraidy-cat". My parents live a solid drive away. It doesn't take all day to get there, but it does take a good chunk of it. This means that tomorrow, when I stuff the cat into her carrier and wedge her into the car, I begin the World's Longest Journey to the accompaniment of desperate, heart rending yowling. The grande finale includes a bath for kitty and the joy of cleaning a soiled cat carrier for me. With a little luck, I can make it in and take care of all of this before my neighbors get home from work.

Then I get to go to school for an officers' meeting. Frankly, I would be just as glad to put off seeing the inside (or outside, for that matter) of Our Law School a few days longer. It is my understanding that we are still missing keys to the office, the bank account has not yet been turned over to the new officers, and we are no closer to a new computer than when I left in May. Hopefully, these will all be quickly and easily remedied. See how optimistic I always am when I start a new school year?

4 Comments:

At 1:10 AM , Blogger pacatrue said...

I did a 5 hour trip once from Mississippi to Nashville with a yowling cat in a Ryder truck. However, I actually split the driving with a friend, and he said that when he was in there (and I in another car) that she didn't complain much. So the key is for your cat to think you don't exist and scare her with some unknown person driving. Or maybe after the first two hours, she just gave up and decided she was in fact going to die.

 
At 7:46 AM , Blogger E.Fritzius said...

This may get to you too late, but if you can probably ask your vet for kitty sedatives. I too own a fraidy cat and learned my lesson after a 13 hour Ryder truck trip from Mississippi to North Carolina, during which the cat howled nearly the whole way.

When moving from NC to WV, I asked the vet for kitty sedatives and they worked wonders. The cat slept most of the way and only howled pittifully about once every half hour when she was able to wake up for a few `fraidy seconds.

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger katze said...

We actually tried kitty sedatives on a previous move. It made things much worse, as she freaked out from the strange feeling of being drugged. On that trip, she tried to claw her way out of the carrier, resulting in torn paw pads and a trip to the vet on my first day in town.

I am simply resigned to my fate. But thanks for the advice anyway!

 
At 10:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your cat was drugged and freaking out in the carrier.

That's just hilarious!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home