Monday, July 11, 2005

Ewww!

So there I was, sitting cross-legged on my bed, typing away when one of these ran up my leg. I jumped up, stuck a cup over it and slid one of those ubiquitous, annoying, but occasionally useful magazine subscription cards under the cup to trap the beast inside. I shook the cup up to try and keep it from crawling back out onto me and dropped a little nail polish remover into the cup. Then I replaced the card, laid a copy of "Immigration Law and Procedure in a Nutshell" on top and waited ten minutes or so.

Satisfied that whatever that thing is was either dead or close to it, I carried the cup out for inspection by my roommate. I'd never seen one of these bugs before and had no idea if they were dangerous to house or health or if it was a signal of some sort of infestation or what, so I thought it wise to seek a second opinion. Grace took one look and said "Oh, an earwig!" She seemed utterly unalarmed, but still, those pinchers on the back end of those things are freaky, so I asked what they are. She replied "I don't think they crawl in your ear, I think they just call them earwigs." Not terribly reassuring.

Thanks to my trusty friend, Google, I feel a little better. A little. Because now I'm going to have trouble falling asleep with visions of hoardes of little nocturnal pincher-butt bugs under my baseboards, just waiting for nightfall to come out and play.

2 Comments:

At 9:19 PM , Blogger EEP said...

Panzer Division, my friendly caterpillar friend, says that although the earwig was probably friendly, it was being very rude and should have asked permission before it tried to sell you insurance. I have no idea what Panzer is talking about.

 
At 9:24 PM , Blogger E.Fritzius said...

Heh heh,

I don't mind earwigs. In fact, I was somewhat obsessed with them in highschool because they just sound funny. However, the wife is none too fond of them. We were messing about with potted plants out front this weekend and she lifted one of the pots up and at least 20 earwigs went wiggling away from beneath it, their pinchers splayed out and agitated.

I had to admit it was pretty creepy looking.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home