Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Malaria

I have been eaten alive by mosquitos. In fact, I've never seen mosquitos as terrible as the ones here. They're a strange grey-black color and they hurt like the dickens when they bite. Then, instead of a red bump the size of a pea, they leave behind a hard white lump the size of a BB that's hot to the touch. These bites itch so bad they burn and hydrocortisone hardly touches it.

I may go insane.

What's especially irritating about the whole thing is that no amount of precautionary measures seems to prevent their vampiric attacks on any exposed flesh. Sunday late in the day I sat on the patio wearing long pants and a long-sleeved T-shirt. They bit my feet. Tonight, I was sitting on the living room couch and my shirt must have ridden up a little in the back because I now have a lovely bite right at the waistline of my pants. Arms, legs, shoulders (when I was wearing a sleeveless sweater), feet, ankles, forehead (!), I've even got one on my scalp. It's sad, really, when you have to consider wearing Deep Woods Off in your house. If I make it to the end of the summer without contracting West Nile Virus or Malaria or Leprosy or something, it will be a miracle.

2 Comments:

At 4:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a minute, I thought you lived in the US of A, since when can you catch tropical viruses over there?

 
At 5:46 PM , Blogger katze said...

Mostly, hyperbole for effect. However:

West Nile, though uncommon, is found in the U.S. Malaria is extraordinarily rare, but in recent years, isolated cases of a new form resistant to the normal anti-malarial treatments have cropped up. Leprosy (Hansen's Disease) isn't actually carried by mosquitos. That part was pure exaggeration.

Having said that, if there is anyone in the U.S. who would end up contracting leprosy from a mosquito, it would end up being me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home