Wednesday, May 11, 2005

New Book(s) On the Nightstand

I started re-reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix this weekend, in anticipation of the upcoming release of Book 6. I'm actually planning to take my Swedish versions to D.C. with me for a little practice over the summer, hence the early start on re-reading OOTP in English. Plus, it's pure enjoyment: no need to think about deep, hidden meanings, already familiar with the storyline, so no need to feel compelled to read past your bedtime...

For my more "serious" leisure reading, I'm starting a collection of essays and short stories on the nature of friendships between women (and girls), called "Between Women". All I've read so far is the introduction and part of the first story. I usually enjoy this type of compilation and it's a great topic. There definitely is a different quality to woman-to-women friendships than women-to-men or men-to-men. Friendship and rivalry sometimes seem to be two sides of the same coin, especially with young girls and teenagers. Women seem to be more intense in their friendships, but equally intense in the ability to betray and hurt each other. I'll be interested to see what the authors in the book have to say, to see if it opens some new insight for me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home