Sunday, April 01, 2007

Would It Be In Bad Taste to Title This Post "AFLAC!"?

Ash really outdid himself tonight. It's almost as if the latent culinary creativity has been bottled up inside of him by the temporary hiatus of Crockpot Mondays (a collateral victim of Lent) and it all came bursting out in a delicious spurt of roasted duckling. We picked up a whole duckling downtown on Friday afternoon and spent a chunk of the weekend discussing what to do with it. In the end, Ash modified a recipe he found online. First, he salted and peppered the inside of the duck. Then he stuffed it with a mixture of apples, onions, and ginger. Next he sprinkled more salt, pepper, and some rosemary on the outside and covered the whole thing with thick sliced bacon. Then he put it into a dutch oven and added potatoes and mushrooms. He slow roasted it all afternoon, and at 7:30 tonight, this was the result:


Holy crow, y'all, it was sooo good. Duck fat makes everything delicious. Those potatoes? Crispy on the outside and soaked in delicious duck fat. I don't particularly care for potatoes, really, but I scarfed these and could easily have eaten another helping (which I declined for the sole reason that I don't need to eat so much fat if I want to still be able to fit into that dress come September). The bacon was so crisp and so yummy and I just couldn't help myself, wedding dress be damned, I just had to have some more bacon, so I slipped away into the kitchen and broke a piece of the ambrosial pork product from the still steaming duck on the cutting board. I was crunching my first mouthful and breaking off another piece when Ash called out "Are you eating bacon in there?"

BUSTED! I nearly choked, laughing at his seemingly psychic accusation. Could he hear me chomping on the bacon? Was it a sudden burst of ESP? "I just know you", he says. Either way, he wouldn't let me eat any more of the bacon. Stupid Ash.

Anyway, the duckling was amazing and I bet a certain lovely Korean national is sorry that she didn't come over for dinner tonight.

3 Comments:

At 2:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have used ginger, but I can imagine how the rosemary improved the taste.

I haven't tried preparing a duck yet (my gf is a vegetarian), but I love cooking myself.

 
At 4:03 PM , Blogger katze said...

You know, I wouldn't have chosen the ginger either, but it was really good.

Of course, now I have no idea what to do with the 2 lbs of leftovers...

 
At 2:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'm too late to ask you to send it to me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home