Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Why, Yes, I WAS The Spelling Bee Winner In Jr. High School

I love Craigslist. I know I'm not alone in this; I don't claim to be unique. I browse the ads regularly, even when I'm not looking for something specific. Recently, I found an ad for a fledgling massage therapist offering a craigslist special-- a 1 hour massage for $45. I thought, "Hey! That might be a doable splurge after the bar!" and clicked over to the webpage for her massage business, where I discovered that she offers "sweedish" massage... or salt "scub" to open your "poors"... hot stones to "enhace" your relaxation.

I guess it makes me a bad person, but when I see so many glaring errors in something that purports to be a professional document, it makes me think that the person is at the best, too lazy to be good at whatever it is they do, or that they're very stupid, or both. I mean, how hard would it be to run a spellcheck? It's not a perfect system, but it certainly would have saved her from the most egregious of the mistakes. And part of me thinks that if you don't know enough to take such a simple step before publishing a professional document, then you are probably cutting corners and making mistakes in areas that matter even more, like, say, hygiene. In fact, when we were looking at the catering menus for the reception hall, my instinct was to discount off the bat the vendor whose menu was littered with similar spelling errors. Luckily, the other vendor's food was so delicious and she was so kind and easygoing that we happily handed her a deposit and threw the other vendor's menus in the recycling bin.

Then the nice part of me thinks to myself, "Well, maybe she let someone else put the website together for her and has no idea that her services are being advertised in such a sloppy manner. Maybe I should email her? And then the realistic part of me speaks up and says, "Don't bother. She'll probably just get her panties all in a wad and won't bother to change anything because 'normal people don't care about stupid stuff like that, anyway'." And then the snarky part of me comes here and blogs about it.

1 Comments:

At 3:01 PM , Blogger Sonja said...

I'm right there with you on this one. Have you read "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves"? Sweet, sweet excellence.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home