Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Stolen Memories

I stole this from Kunstemaecker because I liked it.

10 years ago today: July 26, 1995: I was living on a small Danish island in the North Sea. Our house had a thatched roof and no television. It was the first time I'd been so far north and I marvelled over the late sunsets. Of course, after a summer in Iceland and Sweden, that 11 p.m. sunset doesn't seem quite as spectacular, but it totally blew my mind back then. I was also learning to drive a stick shift-- a skill I have since completely forgotten.

5 years ago today: July 23, 2000: I was teaching German history and culture in Offenburg. That town was a cesspool and teaching was terrible. My students hated me and I was miserable. But I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. My fellow teacher was a true soulmate. We would pick up a bottle of the locally grown wine and fresh vegetables and bread, then spend the evening writing lesson plans while eating and drinking like royalty. It also gave me a chance to see the Black Forest, which was just amazing: the great swirls of mist rising from the depths of the thick trees on the hills was spooky and beautiful at the same time. I could totally understand how the folktalkes that became the Grimm Brothers' fairy tales originated.

1 year ago today: I was either on my way back to the United States or attending Finbar's parents' 35th anniversary party. Either way, I can assure you that I was so tired I was probably hallucinating.

Yesterday: Sad because Finbar went back to the City of Light and I won't see him again until Labor Day. Irritated by Felix and his fixation on the new PERM Labor Certification process.

Tomorrow: Same as yesterday. Including the disgusting weather. Plus I have to pack up so that I can housesit for Felix again this weekend.

5 snacks I enjoy: Terra Blue Chips, any cereal with a cartoon figure on the box, popsicles, Grießbrei, sweet popcorn

5 bands that I know the lyrics to most of their songs: Patty Griffin, REM, U2, Billy Joel,

5 things I would do with $100,000,000: Pay off student loan debt for myself and several of my dear friends, give my parents enough money so that they could quit their crappy jobs and do something that makes them happy, set up a scholarship fund, travel, buy a home.

5 locations I'd like to run away to: Finbar's arms, Iceland, Germany (specifically to my little town in Bavaria), Hawaii, the hotel we stayed at in Niagara Falls last winter.

5 bad habits I have:
- Too impatient and not good enough at hiding it.
- Chewing my pens and pencils
- Procrastinating
- Staying up too late.
- Being hesitant about important things.

5 things I like doing: travelling, learning new languages, eating, spending time with close friends,


5 things I would never wear
:
A halter top, those pointy toed high heels that have been so popular lately, a wedding dress with a butt bow, a micro-mini skirt, a baseball cap facing any way other than forward.


5 TV shows I like
: Airline, Family Plots, Dog the Bounty Hunter, the West Wing (but only when Aaron Sorkin was still writing), and Iron Chef

5 movies I like: Amelie, Mary Poppins, Office Space, Best in Show, Election

5 biggest joys of the moment: my friends, my books, Turbo and the Cats, knowing that Finbar is there for me, fresh grapefuit on sale at Safeway

5 favorite toys: my blog, my laptop, my knitting, and I can't think of two more.

So I hereby nominate anyone who thinks it sounds fun to take this and run with it.

2 Comments:

At 10:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a fascinating person. May I ask how come you've lived in all these different places?
If I remember correctly you now live in the USA right?

 
At 9:27 PM , Blogger J said...

How interesting. I'm going to answer these this weekend. Thanks for posting the topics and your answers. (btw, I agree about the pointy shoes)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home