Monday, May 23, 2005

New Book On the Nightstand

I am currently reading That's Not What I Meant! by Deborah Tannen. I'd read some of her writings in college, first in an anthropology course and later in a linguistics course. And, as you know, I am very interested in language and non-verbal communication, especially in the context of cross-cultural communication.

So far, it's been a quick read and fairly interesting. I'm hoping that later in the book, she'll talk about how to avoid or resolve these sorts of miscommunications. I liked Tannen's writing style when I read her in my college classes, but in a work as long as the book, I'm finding it a little on the superficial side. Or maybe the problem is that I've just read too many law texts to be able to appreciate a simple, clear-cut text.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home