Friday, May 13, 2005

It's Been a Good Day

I woke up to a phone call from Finbar this morning, just because he wanted to say hello.

Then, I called my normal hairdresser to see if he'd happened to have a cancellation for today, and there were three open slots, so I was able to get my hair cut before I leave for D.C. That was a huge relief, because I was getting pretty shaggy and I hate having to find a new hairdresser. The guy I see here in Our Fair City is phenomenal and not too expensive, plus he's a super interesting guy.

Then, I went over to see what I could do about that last financial aid check that hadn't arrived. Normally, the checks are issued to the university AND the student. The student has to sign the check over to the university, it gets deposited to the student's account, and if there is an overpayment, a refund check is generated by the university. It's a huge PITA, and I was concerned because they will under NO circumstances release the check to the student for endorsement. When I asked if the check had arrived yet, the woman kind of chuckled and said she'd just processed it that morning. Then, it turned out that the check was in my name only. However, apparently, the rules say that a check over a certain amount can't just be released to the student. Instead of sticking firmly to the rule, the woman asked if I could come back a little later so that she could make some calls and see if she could get permission to release it anyway. This kind of service is practically unheard of at Our University.

Then, I went to the computer lab to print out Mapquest directions to all of the important places (Target, IKEA, H&M, Aldi) from my new D.C. digs. While there, I caught War on IM and we chatted for a short time. I miss her a lot. We are going to have so much fun when she comes back in the Fall.

Then, I went back to the Financial Aid office and the nice woman working handed me my check. I went straight to the bank and deposited it. Now I can pay my parents and Finbar back for the money they've floated me to keep a roof over my head and food in the cabinets in the last couple of months.

Then I beat the meter maid back to my car, where my meter had expired about 2 minutes earlier (the extra trip to the bank put be over).

Some days, things just go your way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home