Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Things They Don't Teach You In School

What, exactly, am I supposed to wear to work with this firm?

And don't tell me "business casual", because that phrase is so meaningless you might as well say "clothes".

Are there certain kinds of shoes that are not OK? I mean, obviously my silver strappy sandals and Hello Kitty sneakers are Not Appropriate For The Workplace. But what about my other shoes? Can I wear slacks and a sweater? Can I wear slacks and a button-up?

I have no frame of reference for this stuff. In the past, I've worked in places where you either had a uniform or it didn't really matter too much what you wore. Even at my job in the City of Light, "business casual" meant "don't show up in your jeans and sneakers... too often". I'm pretty sure that won't be the firm policy.

And don't tell me to ask the person who hired me. He's a man in his 60's. Men have NOT A CLUE how much more nuanced women's clothing is. A guy can put on a nice pair of khakis and a button up and go to a wide range of places for which he would be dressed appropriately. The same kind of outfit on a woman works in a much narrower range of places.

Either way, I have to buy some clothes. After 1 1/2 years of law school, my wardrobe is a little manic-depressive. I have jeans and sweaters and knit shirts. And I have little black dresses. Nothing in between except my interview suit.

I don't want to go clothes shopping. The very thought of clawing through the racks makes me feel bored. The thought of trying on the clothes makes my soul shrivel up just a little bit. Nothing ever looks right on me-- unless it costs at least $70. And the thought of actually going to the mall with the rest of the unwashed public makes me feel just a little homicidal. My stupidity threshold is especially low lately because I'm so stressed over school (Why, oh WHY, did I pick that topic for my Seminar paper????). I'm not sure that I will be able to go shopping without getting arrested. Those who doubt the veracity of this statement should ask Finbar about the things I said OUT LOUD to people while we were out shopping on Saturday.

2 Comments:

At 4:25 PM , Blogger katze said...

Actually, that's a great help. I might have a couple of things that will work, so maybe I don't have to buy as much as I thought.

Most (as in about 90%) of my wardrobe comes from Goodwill, AmVets, and the Salvation Army. But I have trouble finding dressier clothes that fit me there. Maybe I'll have a peek at the local Goodwill tomorrow.

Sigh.

 
At 8:37 AM , Blogger Alessandra said...

"Nothing ever looks right on me-- unless it costs at least $70. And the thought of actually going to the mall with the rest of the unwashed public makes me feel just a little homicidal."

That was funny. Rebecca's advice are right on target. Adding one more: once you start working, keep your eyes open, that is, keep observing everything and everyone. A lot of important rules at work are not spelled out, nor talked about. Work environments and clothing can also differ depending who's boss, or who works there. Conservative and discrete attire, which can be quite lovely, doesn't mean drabby or depressing attire, is a good way to at least start. It doesn't sound like you'd be required anything more, but you don't want to fall into the drabby or too informal category, unless you see a lot of it in the office.

Also, you will get an additional point if you take care of your hair. If your hair is dishevelled, that stands out just as much as if you weren't dressed in whatever office standard. It's like if you were wearing a nice outfit, but there's a rip or a big stain on it.

I hope it turns out a good experience!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home