Monday, October 18, 2004

Add/Drop Part II

I registered for the Adoption Law Seminar (#1 on the waitlist), Copyright Law (replacing Business Organizations, which was at the same time and for which I was #32 on the waitlist), Spanish For Lawyers (#4 on the waitlist), and Intro to EU Law. Let’s talk about that last course. It is being taught by a visiting professor. That could be good or bad. Some visiting professors are phenomenal and really bring a breath of fresh air to the learning environment. Others are well-meaning experts in their field who haven’t taught very much, perhaps not at all. They struggle with the specialized skills that teaching requires, much to the detriment of the students. My torts professor last year was like that. An obviously brilliant woman who didn’t know how to teach a course. It was very painful. By the last week of the semester, she was getting the hang of things, and I would gladly sign up for one of her courses next year. But it is safe to say that my torts class was not one of my more productive learning experiences.

The problem, however, is not the professor. The problem is that there is no time or day for the course. It’s TBA. RRRRRRRRR! How are you supposed to know if you can take the course if they can’t tell you when it’s offered? Especially when the class is not being taught in a normal time frame. It’s a two credit hour course. Those are usually taught once a week in a two hour time block. This course will be taught in two two hour time blocks for the last seven weeks of the semester. So that significantly increases the chances that it will conflict with another course that I’ve registered for. Unless they offer it at some crazy time tike 3-5 pm on. I registered for it anyway, and I was the first one to register, so I definitely got into the course.

So let’s sum up: Nonprofit Orgs (2) + International Dispute Resolution (2)+ Copyright Law(3)+Intro to EU Law (2)= 9 credit hours confirmed.

Family Law (3)+ Adoption Law (2)= 5 credit hours likely to be added.

14 credit hours so far... not bad.

As long as I get into Family Law, I can drop Professor Marian’s course (yay!). If I get off the waitlist for Spanish For Lawyers (don’t know how likely that is), then I could possibly also drop the course even if I don’t get into Family Law. Nur keine Panik, that’s what I keep telling myself. Nur keine Panik.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home